Monday, February 4, 2008

Assignment 3

How does this image represent John Stuart Mill's ideas of the dangers of popular opinion and Tyranny of the Majority? Use one example from contemporary American society to support your point.

My first reaction to the image was I started to laugh, but then stopped and thought about it. It was no laughing matter I realized. This image portrays our society, ideas, and logic. According to Mill, he believes democracy is dangerous. Some may agrue against this idea, but it has some fact to it. Popular opinion is the opinion of the majority vote of an issue in society, and everyone follows it because everyone else is doing it or agrees with it. The image repesents popular opinion because each person in the line is following the others and falling of the cliff without thinking about the situation. Tyranny of the Majorty is influenced by money, media, and power. We should not blame society for popular opinion because the government has a responsible to inform us and not by the media. The media can twist the truth and give society false information because they have all the power. We all have decided on an idea based on other's opinion or the popular one. We have the right to explore and express opinions. An example of popular opinion is the Presidential Primary Election. Some people will vote for Clinton becuase she is known and is the first woman that has a good chance of winning, and others will vote for Obama because he can be the first African American president. Many vote without taking the time and research on the candidate's issues or ideas they want for America.

5 comments:

DLopez07 said...

It is so true how many people vote without taking the time and research on the candidate's issues or ideas.

girlfriend said...

I completely agree and i also see the tyranny of majority being money, and the media. This picture represents our society which is ruled by popular opinion even thought just as Mills argued it is not always correct, which is why he is against democracy and i also see some truth in his logic!!

forever29 said...

You are right that there are many that do not choose to take the time to review the candidates and their stand on issues. It is really hard for me to really look into the candidates because I find that I equally don't like any of them!!!! It is choosing the best out of a group that I don't care for anyway. I think your example is perfect for the picture and how Mill views democracy.

Sparkle said...

It is true what you said about popular opinion. Everyone follow the popular opinion because they don't want to be left out or be different.

Carleen said...

I LOVE the template that you've used for your blog! I don't remember seeing it the last time I visited. Is it new?