Monday, March 17, 2008

Assignement 9

Take a look at the list, read one of the stories (they are all linked on the website), and post your response to it. Why do you think the story you chose was largely ignored by the mainstream media?

http://www.truthout.org/issues_06/020607LB.shtml

Workers, Not Guests By David Bacon.

If this story was in the media it would cause controversy over undocumented worker's rights to work permanently not temporary. A labor movement can be caused by the firing of Luz Dominguez and 20 other housekeepers because their Social Security number did not matched up, and labor unions would be organized to protect immigrants' rights. When Congress passed and the President signed into law the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the result was the first major revision of America's immigration laws in decades. The law seeks to preserve jobs for those who are legally entitled to them as American citizens and aliens who are authorized to work in the United States. Most importantly, failure to verify a new employee's identity and employment eligibility will result in the termination of employment for that affected employee. Guestworker programs simply do not work, and they need security of a job and not threats of deportation. Immigrants should be allowed to have a green card and have the right to gain citizenship.

3 comments:

le_637 said...

I see your point on how immigrants should be allowed to have both. Just because it is a LAW, immigrants should not be welcome or make this their home. But I think that we should be able to help them become Americans in safe terms and legally.

Mizunke360 said...

Yeah, I always see "extra help" standing in front of Home Depot. I bet most of those people don't have green cards, and it makes me wonder how they mangage to stay on U.S. soil?

Pooh Bear said...

I see what you are trying to say, but my idea is similar as yours. I believe that illegal immigrants that have children born on U.S. should have the opportunity to obtain a green card and even become U.S. citizens if they have children over the age of 21 born in U.S. soil. I see how the media mainstream deals with this issue on our everyday news.